Every vote counts!
Whether you voted early, by mail or on Election Day, your effort and patience made a huge difference. “Our members have been engaged and active in this the most important election of our lives,” said NYSUT President Andy Pallotta. “I thank all who stepped up in so many ways.” The outcomes of the presidential election and many other races are pending the complete count of mail-in ballots. Our job now is to be patient and ensure the will of the people is honored, Pallotta said.
Introducing the NYSUT COVID Tracker website
No matter where in the state you are or what your district’s reopening plan is, everyone deserves to feel safe at work. That’s why we are launching the NYSUT COVID Tracker website and encouraging NYSUT members to report any unsafe working conditions they encounter in schools. NYSUT's COVID tracker is currently being expanded to receive safety reports from SUNY and CUNY four-year campuses and community colleges. We expect this feature to be live and accessible by the end of next week.
SED cancels January Regents Exams
SED this week made the NYSUT-backed decision to cancel the state Regents exams scheduled for January. “In the interest of safety, equity and fairness, canceling the January exams is the right choice,” said President Pallotta. “We applaud Interim Commissioner Rosa, the Board of Regents and the State Education Department for putting students first with changes to state exam requirements that still allow them to achieve a diploma without being penalized during this pandemic.”
- NYSUT Program Services offers a free one-hour webinar at 1 p.m. Nov. 19 to discuss the challenges retirees face in coping and managing anxiety with COVID-19. It will address ways to manage the holidays and the ongoing unpredictability of these times.
- The free 2020 NYSUT Member Benefits Trustee Education and Wellness Workshop will be held online starting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 14. The biennial program normally provides training and resources for benefit fund trustees, but this year, in light of the ongoing pandemic, we have added a wellness component. All are welcome, and recorded versions will be available on the Member Benefits website.
- Volunteer Nov. 20: The need for the labor-sponsored drive-through food pantry last week was overwhelming, so the union will host a similar event at NYSUT HQ from 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 20, with volunteers needed starting at 8 a.m.
- NYSUT’s free ELT webinars on best practice for blended/hybrid instruction continue Nov. 12. That one is filled up, so we have added two more one-hour webinars scheduled for 5-6 p.m. Nov. 19 and Dec. 1. Register here.
- NYSUT plans more sessions for its popular student debt webinars.
- Here’s a link to SED’s FAQ on providing services to English language learners during the pandemic.
- Your local can order new NYSUT SRP car magnets as part of your plan to celebrate state SRP Recognition Day Nov. 17. After the big day, share your pictures and stories with SRP coordinator Leslie Fottrell, firstname.lastname@example.org.